December 12, 2015 : Hot Trending In United Kingdom

Being nominated for a Grammy is most musician’s dream, and for a lucky few every year, they are recognized for their contributions right out of the gate. Best New Artist is always one of the most competitive categories, and it is also one of the most prestigious. Winning this trophy is a vote of confidence from the industry, and a sign that you are expected to go on to do even bigger and better things than your debut brought.

After being told he was up for three awards, one of this year’s nominees, British singer-songwriter James Bay, spoke to me about how he first heard the good news, what it feels like, and his dream collaboration (if the Recording Academy actually asks him to perform).
NEW YORK, NY – NOVEMBER 12: Singers James Bay performs onstage during the VH1 Big Music in 2015: You Oughta Know Concert at The Armory Foundation on November 12, 2015 in New York City. (Photo by Mike Coppola/Getty Images for VH1)

What does it actually feel like for your first album out to get three Grammy nominations?
Incredible. It was the best Monday of my life if I’m quite hones
t. I started the day at Abbey Road Studios rehearsing a bit of an orchestra for one of my songs to play later in the week. Then I went on to receive three Grammy nominations and meet Coldplay in a hallway later that day. It all feels pretty incredible.
Were you expecting the Best New Artist nomination at all?
I’m not running around the world making music and chasing awards nominations, that’s not my motive. I wasn’t expecting any of that stuff. I would be lying to you if I didn’t say there’s a tiny part of me deep down inside that didn’t think it would be really nice to receive some of that stuff, but the reality of it is a whole different thing and wonderful.
Best New Artist is one of the big four categories, so that must be great, but you’re also nominated as songwriter for Best Rock Song. How does it feel to be recognized in that capacity?
It feels great. I love the word “rock”. It’s really nice to have that title to what I’m doing because I love rock music and I think that quite a bit of my music is pretty rock and it turns out so do loads of other people now. Like you say, the Best New Artist thing is part of that sort of big four that everyone’s checking out when they get interested in the Grammys. At the same time, I’ve watched the Grammys for years and I’ve always been really interested in the rock category. There’s so many cool people up there this year as well like Alabama Shakes, so it’s so cool to be alongside people like that.
Tell me the story of how you found out you got these nominations.
I was in a car with three of my nearest and dearest, and we were on the way to rehearsals. There’s a guy called Jools Holland who’s a very talented piano player and he has a show over here.
Sure.
Later with Jools Holland has this New Year’s show which gets loads of artists new and old come on and play. I was in the car on the way to his house to rehearse in a big rhythm and blues orchestra, as they’re called. I’ve watched the show since I was a tiny little kid. I had already been at Abbey Road earlier during the day so my mind had already been blown, and then suddenly it was about to get blown again by going to sit with Jools Holland at his studio and run through one of my songs and a really cool cover.
First I’d gone to the studio and saw Coldplay around the curve and I lost my mind again. Now I have three losses of the mind in a day already and then I had three more when I got a call that said, “Oh, you’ve got a Grammy nomination,” and I lost my mind again. Then seven or eight minutes went by and we all are just trying to get our heads around one Grammy nomination, then someone said, “You got three more Grammy nominations.” Then my head exploded, so I’m actually talking to you from the grave.
Really?
Yeah, it’s pretty mad. Am I making any sense? Well, that’s how it went down.

Source :
 http://www.forbes.com/sites/hughmcintyre/2015/12/11/best-new-artist-grammy-nominee-james-bay-reveals-how-he-heard-the-news/
ADVERTISING

0 comments so far,add yours